Should I buy Organic or Foam Crib Mattress ?
Choosing a quality, safe, and comfortable crib mattress for your baby is so important. However, with so many crib mattresses to choose from, it is easy to feel overwhelmed. Two common types of crib mattresses are organic crib mattresses and foam crib mattresses. I have researched both types thoroughly and have determined which one is the best, but it is ultimately every parent’s responsibility to make their own informed decisions.
Here is my Ultimate Comparison: Organic Crib Mattress v/s Foam Crib Mattress ;
Differences Between Both
Obviously, the greatest difference between both crib mattresses is that one is organic and the other is inorganic. Foam crib mattresses (and all mattresses) are required by law to meet certain standards for being flame retardant. Because most of the chemicals used to make foam crib mattresses aren’t naturally flame retardant, manufacturers have no choice but to add chemicals to meet those requirements. In fact, I have read that they put mattresses in very toxic flame-retardant chemicals such as polybrominated diphenyl, or PBDEs. These highly dangerous chemicals are already banned in Canada, Europe, and a few of the states. Organic mattresses are made with natural ingredients like organic and chemical free wool, cotton, latex, and soy.
Similarities Between Both
Both types of crib mattresses almost always come with a waterproof cover which makes for easy cleaning. They both meet all safety standards and are hypoallergenic, mite-proof, and phthalate-free. Organic crib mattresses and foam crib mattresses can both fit cribs snugly, and can usually transition easily into toddler beds as well.
Pros and Cons of Foam Crib Mattresses
- Parents love softness of foam mattresses
- Foam crib mattresses are hypoallergenic
- They are lightweight and much easier to maneuver than organic crib mattresses
- They distribute weight more evenly.
Quality foam mattresses will be firm, which means babies are much less likely suffocate in their cribs.
- Many parents complained that the mattresses had a horrible, chemical smell that wouldn’t go away.
- Because the foam is so soft, infants are at a greater risk of suffocating.
- Chemicals in foam crib mattresses are linked to a number of health problems that can develop over a lifetime.
- Children are exposed to more environmental toxins because they sleep so much more than adults do.
Infants and toddlers may have less restful sleep because their bodies are disrupted by the harsh chemicals in foam mattresses. Foam crib mattresses are not as durable as other kinds and may not be safe to use after a few years because they lose their shape and firmness.They can sometimes cause overheating.
Reviews of the Top Rated Foam Crib Mattresses
Dream on Me provides a well built and comfortable Graco Pack and Play crib mattress for your baby at a reasonable price. This is the best budget foam crib mattress that you can buy.
This is one of the top rated and best crib mattress that you can buy if you want a real and great foam crib mattress.
The Little Dreamer crib mattress from Moonlight Slumber offers two sides with dual firmness which can be used as a toddler or infant crib mattress.
The Colgate Classica I is a very good crib mattress if you are looking for a firm and lightweight baby mattress.
Pros and Cons of Organic Crib Mattresses
- Organic crib mattresses don’t have a nasty, chemical smell when they are taken out of their packaging like foam mattresses do.
- They are perfect for children with allergies or those highly sensitive to chemicals.
- Many organic mattresses come with two sides; a toddler and infant side. Toddler side gives more comfort and the infant side offers firmness.
- Studies have shown that people who sleep on organic mattresses sleep more soundly than those who don’t.
- Made of 100% pure organic materials
- Parents have had difficulties getting organic crib mattresses to fit the crib, even though their cribs were standard size.
- Changing the bedding can be a pain because the mattresses fit the crib so tightly and are very heavy.
- Organic crib mattresses can be very expensive
Some brands of organic mattresses have dips in the center of them.A few brands of organic mattresses have shrunk, or are too small and are very dangerous for an infant.
Reviews of the Top Rated Organic Crib Mattresses
When it comes to organic crib mattresses, Naturepedic is the top brand that produces high-quality organic crib mattresses. I have reviewed three of the best rated Naturepedic crib mattresses and you can find those naturepedic crib mattress reviews below.
This is the best naturepedic crib mattress that are commonly used by the parents . This is just because it has less price as compared other naturepedic crib mattresses.
The 150 refers to the number of coils with which it is made.
It’s simply another great 252 coils made high-end organic crib mattress that comes with an expensive price tag. It’s simply the best in the category and if the price is not an issue for you, then this is the one for you.
After reviewing both types of crib mattresses carefully, I believe that organic crib mattresses are the best. Even though I will likely have to spend more time laundering them then I would like, I am confident in the choice that I will be making for my future children someday. However, I know that not everyone will share my opinions. Sometimes, a foam mattress is simply not in the budget for some, or perhaps others don’t think it’s really worth it. Every parent has the right to decide what is best for their child. Though I will always favor organic mattresses over foam mattresses, there are many benefits to foam mattresses to. They are easier to clean, hypoallergenic, lightweight, inexpensive, and distribute weight evenly. Above all, I think it is very important for parents to seriously weigh the pros and the cons of both types of crib mattresses. I know what will be best for my future children, and it is up to other parents to make informed decisions about the well-being of their children, too.